[I REQUEST ONLY EXPERTS TO REPLAY THIS QUESTION]
I am working on improving AnsPress email subscriptions. So, I wish to know everyone’s feedback on how to handle subscription system database and queuing.
I wish to notify every user for subscribed taxonomies and users about new question and answers. Of course you gonna need more then PHP SendMail/Gmail SMTP to send lots of mail.
I think that for small QA sites, and most of them are or will be small, standard email notification via PHP will be enough, but for heavy usage there is need for different approach:
- We could use a OneSignal API for push/web push notifications,
- External services, probably mailgun.com (10k mails/mc free) and similar.
- Use of BuddyPress notification system instead.
- Own simple dropdown notification addon, similar to BuddyPress, that You can add to menu, add as widget or php code.
- Combine email and OneSignal notifications, mail – one a day with summary, and Web push for instant notifications.
As for database and, I need to think about it. There is no easy way to do it without sacrificing performance.
How would the email work? Would it send out an email immediately for each individual question submitted or would it wait till the end of day and send out an email with all questions that have been submitted that match your taxonomies?